Learn How to Tell If Mold in Your Home Is Making Your Family Sick

Posted on August 15, 2014 in Blog

Mold When most people think of mold, the first thing that pops into their head is a moldy slice of bread or other food item that has been sitting on the counter for too long. However, some types of mold are much more dangerous than the mold found in your refrigerator, and they are also more difficult to find. If you have excess moisture in certain areas of your home, or if you have a leak in your roof that you are unaware of, you could also have a potentially dangerous mold problem that you may not be able to see without doing some serious investigating. People who live in humid climates should be even more vigilant about the potential presence of mold in their homes and should watch for some of the most common symptoms of dangerous mold exposure.

Common Symptoms of Mold Exposure

Some of the most common symptoms of mold exposure include:

  • Wheezing and coughing in individuals who are otherwise healthy
  • Development or worsening of asthma symptoms
  • Sinus congestion and runny nose
  • Throat irritation
  • Watery, itchy, red eyes
  • Tightness in the chest
  • Excessive sneezing

In infants, exposure to black mold can lead to gastrointestinal issues such as vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain and nausea. In some cases these painful symptoms may cause infants to stop eating altogether and lose weight as a result. If treatment is not sought immediately, infants can become severely dehydrated and malnourished due to toxic mold exposure and could even die.

Where Is Household Mold Most Commonly Found?

Household mold is most commonly found in basements, shower stalls, leaky attics, and any other area where moisture collects. If you suspect that there is mold growth in your home, be sure to check the following areas:

  • Wallpaper
  • Ceiling tiles
  • Drywall
  • Ductwork
  • Roofing
  • Furniture
  • Paneling
  • Around plumbing pipes
  • Carpets
  • Around swamp coolers
  • Any area that is excessively moist

In some cases you may not be able to see mold spores, but you might be able to smell them. Mold has a distinct, musty smell that can usually be detected by conscientious homeowners. If you see or smell anything that you think may be mold, don’t waste any time calling the professionals and having your home inspected for this dangerous substance. If you catch mold quickly then you and your family may not have to suffer from symptoms of toxic mold exposure.

Call Today

If you and your family are suffering from mold exposure symptoms, call H2 Environmental today and let us inspect your home, remove any traces of mold, and help make sure your home becomes a safe haven for your family.