3 Health Risks Found in Historic Homes

Posted on December 16, 2014 in Blog

Older homes may have lead, asbestos, or mold lurking within.

3 Health Risks Found in Historic HomesIf you own a historic home, chances are it contains one or more health hazards, stemming from ill-conceived building material standards or simple old age. Fortunately, you can count on H2 Environmental to help identify hazards, clean your property, and eliminate health threats.


Lead poisoning is a serious concern, especially for children, as it can cause development problems and brain, liver, and kidney, and nervous system function issues. Lead contamination in older homes may come from either lead paint or lead pipes. Lead paint was in popular use from the 1910s to the 1940s, and was not officially banned until the 1970s. Lead in plumbing was not banned until much later. Your home may harbor this contaminant even if it was built before the heyday of lead paint and lead pipes as no doubt prior owners repainted or renovated at some time during these decades.


Asbestos was used as an insulator for many years, right up until the end of the 1970s. It is commonly found in materials like roofing shingles, ceiling tiles, popcorn ceilings, pipe and boiler insulation, pipe mastic, cement, and floor tile. If these or other asbestos-containing materials become damaged, they can release tiny asbestos fibers that can be inhaled, lodge in the lungs, and cause respiratory diseases, mesothelioma, and lung cancer.


While any home can develop a mold problem, historic homes are perhaps more likely to have hidden mold hazards. After all, historic homes may contain bizarre insulation materials like rags, corncobs, and newspaper that are more susceptible to mold than fiberglass. Plus, they may be more prone to roof leaks and plumbing problems, which provide the moisture mold needs to grow. Finally, they may have building seal issues that allow excess humidity to enter the home and accumulate in crawl spaces, attics, subfloors, and other hidden spots. In addition to causing structural damage, mold can also cause odor problems and allergic reactions.

Get Help Now

If you suspect you have lead, asbestos, or mold in your home, contact H2 Environmental right away. We can quickly facilitate the necessary testing to confirm whether or not you have a problem and determine the extent of the contamination. Then, we can create a safe and effective remediation plan to be carried out by certified professionals. Please call us now to get started.